Thoughts on level design in Source and gaming in general

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Project: Saw Source


 Well, I promised I'd post about this earlier, so here we are. This is an idea I've had for a while now, and done some design for, but never really fleshed out. Most of my maps tend to just be an area, with no specific focus. This, however, I intend to be a single player mod based around the puzzles and traps of the Saw movies. I'm not an enormous fan of the Saw franchise: the first was excellent, and it rapidly went downhill as they milked the series of all it's freshness. Still, it seems to me that the franchise lends itself quite well to Source: lots of indoor areas in an industrial setting, no huge setpieces, an emphasis on lighting, etc.


My general plan for the map would be a progression through a series of traps, picking up and losing weapons as you go. I plan to include a lot of custom content: Billy the puppet looking at you from TV screens, custom sounds like Jigsaw's speeches and Billy's laugh, and, as you can see at the top, messages scrawled on the wall in blood. This seems like it'll end up being a very big project, and since university start week is hurtling towards me like an express train, along with the Facepunch mapping contest, it could be a long time until it gets completed. That said, I'm sure I'll get time to do some work on it at some point, and when I do I'll post screens.

Happy mapping!